Windows 8 Help
Vectorial Map is a map browser for Mapsforge vector maps which are directly rendered on the device and do not require an internet connection. Mapsforge maps are ideal for outdoor activities or traveling where online access is not available or expensive. Because maps are rendered on the fly it is possible to style the maps with simple XML style sheets without having to download a complete map set each time. Vectorial Map also supports track and route loading from GPX and KML/KMZ files and waypoints.
If you have questions, bug reports, or any other feedback then contact us here.
The map view can be controlled using touch gestures:
- Pinch: zoom in and out.
- Pan: move the map.
In landscape mode it is also possible to zoom in and out using the zoom buttons.
If the position tracker is turned on then the map's center is moved to the current GPS location.
The position tracker is on when its foreground color is blue and off if it is black:
- position track is off.
- position track is on.
The current position is represented by a symbol and a circle which indicates the accuracy in meters:
Depending on the current location (e.g. in house, under trees, etc.) it might take a while until a GPS signal is received.
The trip computer shows the current speed, altitude, distance, and recording time. Distance and recording time are only shown during track recording. The trip computer is updated when a new GPS location update has been received.
The scalebar shows the current map scale in meters/kilometers or foot/miles. The scalebar's units can be changed in the Settings.
Vectorial Map can display online tile maps and offline Mapsforge vector maps. The online maps (e.g. OpenStreetMap and OpenCycleMap) have less display quality and should only be used for overview purpose.
Vector map download
Mapsforge vector maps can be downloaded here.
Importing vector maps
Maps can be imported to Vectorial Map using a file picker. Due to Windows Store restrictions the map is copied to the internal app storage and the original map file not required anymore.
The Mapsforge format stores maps as vector data and maps are rendered on the fly on the device. The map render style can be fully controlled using Mapsforge XML based style sheets. Some sample styles from the OpenAndroMaps project can be downloaded here.
Mapsforge styles consist of a zip file containing one or multiple XML files and directories with patterns and symbols. The following screenshot shows an example of the zip-file structure:
Zipped map styles can be imported using the file picker. Due to Windows Store restrictions the map is copied to the internal app storage and the original map file not required anymore.
Tracks and Routes
Vectorial Map can display, record, and draw GPX and KML/KMZ files as tracks and routes.
Track vs. Routes
A track can be either loaded as a route or track. A route is path which cannot be edited and serves as a navigation help. To load a track as a route go to "Tracks", select a track and choose "Open as route".
Tracks and routes can be removed from the current map view using the Windows Phone "Remove track" and "Remove route" menu entries (this will only remove the track/route from the map view but it will not delete the track from the database!).
Track Import and Export
Track files can be imported and exported using a file picker.
Track recording can be started with the track recording button.
- track recording is stopped.
- track recording is on.
Tracks can be manually drawn using the Windows Phone menu entry "Draw track". This is for instance useful for route planing. When the track drawing mode is started then a new menu bar will show up with three buttons:
- add a new waypoint.
- remove the last added track point.
- Finish track drawing.
A track can be drawn by touching the map at the position where a new track point should be added. During drawing the trip computer shows the total track distance.
Waypoints represent points of interest at a certain location. If a track is loaded or being recorded then a new waypoint can be added using the menu entry "Add waypoint". Green waypoints represent track waypoints and red waypoints are route waypoints. Route waypoints cannot be added.
- track waypoint (editable).
- route waypoint (not editable).
- bookmark (editable).
Bookmarks are track independent waypoints which always show up in the map even if no track or route is loaded. They are represented by a blue symbol:
Bookmarks can be edited either by pressing on a bookmark symbol or selecting the "Bookmarks" menu entry.
The settings can be changed using the Windows Phone menu entry "Settings".
- Imperial units: if checked, then imperial units (foot, miles) are used instead of metric units (meter, kilometer).
- Keep screen on: keeps the screen on. This is useful for navigation.
- Show trip computer: show or hide the trip computer.
- Ask before exit: show a warning if the back button is pressed.
- Use alternative font: check this if text is not correctly rendered (for instance China). After changing this option the Vectorial Map app should be restarted.
- Cache map data: if enabled then rendered map data is cached. This requires additional disk space.
- Clear cache now: deletes all cached map data.
- Map scale factor: the amount the map is scaled. Vectorial Map has to be restarted after applying this setting.
- GPS interval: the minimum time in seconds between two consecutive track points. Measurements below the given interval will be ignored.
- GPS distance: the minimum distance in meters between two consecutive track points.Measurements below the given distance will be ignored.
- Ask for track name: if checked, then a dialog pops up with an option to enter a track name each time a new track is started. The track name can also be later edited in the track manager.
- Show waypoint dialog: if checked, then the waypoint dialog is shown when a new waypoint is added.
- Enable waypoint dragging: if checked, then track and bookmark waypoints can be dragged around on the map.
Vectorial Map uses an internal SQLite based database to store tracks and waypoints. We recommend to save this database to an external storage device for the case of device failure or loss.