Nokia Meego/Harmattan Help
Vectorial Map is a map browser for Mapsforge vector maps which are directly rendered on the device and do not require an internet connection. Mapsforge maps are ideal for outdoor activities or traveling where online access is not available or expensive. Because maps are rendered on the fly it is possible to style the maps with simple XML style sheets without having to download a complete map set each time.
Note: The Meego version of Vectorial Map is very limited and supports only Mapsforge map viewing and style changing. Due to the limited resources of the N9 the rendering is fairly slow, especially for low zoom levels showing big areas.
The following steps have to be done to install Vectorial Map on Meego:
- Download and install the deb installation package on your device.
- Connect your Meego device via USB as "Mass storage".
- Download the support zip file and copy it to your Meego device.
- Extract the downloaded zip file on your Meego device so that there is a folder name d"VectorialMap" in the root directory ("/home/user/MyDocs/VectorialMap/") with direct sub-folders "cache", "fonts", "maps", and "styles".
- Disconnect your device so that is no longer connected as "Mass storage".
The map view can be controlled using touch gestures:
- Pan: move the map.
It is possible to zoom in and out using the zoom buttons.
The scalebar shows the current map scale in meters/kilometers.
Vectorial Map can display offline Mapsforge vector maps.
Vector map download
Mapsforge vector maps can be downloaded here.
Importing vector maps
Maps have to be stored in the "/home/user/MyDocs/VectorialMap/map" directory on the phone. It is recommended to exit the Vectorial Map app before copying or deleting maps.
The Mapsforge format stores maps as vector data and maps are rendered on the fly on the device. The map render style can be fully controlled using Mapsforge XML based style sheets. Some sample styles from the OpenAndroMaps project can be downloaded here.
Mapsforge styles have to be copied to the "/home/user/MyDocs/VectorialMap/styles" directory on the phone. The XML files can either be located directly in the styles directory, or in a sub-directory. It is recommended to exit the Vectorial Map app before copying or deleting styles.